Lighting fixtures are an ideal accessory to supplement the interior décor of your house. With an unlimited range of styles, shapes, colors and sizes, lighting fixtures can provide the finishing touch to a comprehensive interior design scheme. They add the sparkle to our homes in the same way that jewelry adds sparkle to our bodies. In so many ways, lighting can make a difference. And, it is an inexpensive home remodeling or decorating option that can change a room dramatically at a small cost.
Lighting should be planned to complement your lifestyle. To accomplish a comprehensive and successful lighting solution, it is best to develop a home lighting plan that meets your individual needs and those of your family. When planning your lighting:
- Identify the activities that occur in each room reading, food preparation, hobby work, grooming, laundry, homework, etc.).
- Identify the mood or ambience that you want to create.
- Identify the decorative elements you wish to emphasize.
- Keep in mind that dark colors absorb much light, and therefore it is necessary to provide supplementary light in spaces with dark wall colors and finishes.
- When remodeling, it is important to note the extent of the remodeling and identify the existing electrical locations.
- Also, identify those areas serving more than a single purpose and those that will require more than one type of lighting.
Courtesy of the American Lighting Association